My Road To Recovery

This post is long overdue, but I’m finally putting aside some time to write this. On July 9th I was finally released from the hospital after 32 days. 32 days that I can never get back, but 32 days I’ll never regret.

I don’t remember my accident at all. However, for clarification, my use of the term “accident” implies the impact of Robert Slager’s (of Slager and Son Masonry) truck against my car and the time from impact until I was conscious moments later after a grateful bystander came to my side to keep me calm and whom also called 911. I remember 10 minutes beforehand where I had been at a stop sign answering a call from my sister Morgan. I told her I was on my way home and that I’d talk to her in 10 minutes or so since I wasn’t too far away. Next thing I know I’m waking up and hearing a man’s voice praying to the Lord for him to look over me. Then a huge wave of pain spread throughout my body. I couldn’t open my eyes, but my “guardian angel” noticed I was conscious and asked for my name, then phone numbers for my parents. He told my I had been in a bad accident and that the paramedics were on their way.

Everything else was a blur that night. From the time I was removed from my car to getting to the ER, it felt like 15 minutes had gone by. In actuality it took 1 hour to extract me from my car, and another 15 minutes to drive to the hospital. I had been in so much pain that I was in and out of consciousness. After a short time in the ER, I was finally able to open my eyes and at that point just kept asking for my parents. I then remember the nurses telling me they were going to cut my clothes off, and I said the least expected thing. I told the nurse she couldn’t cut off my tops because they were my favorite t-shirt and undershirt. It’s a bit of a blur trying to remember everything that night. I finally got to see my parents, my sister Morgan, and Steve. My best friend Amy wasn’t there yet, but she came while I was in surgery.

Forewarning: the rest of this post is unbelievably long.

All of my fractures were open fractures, and as such I was immediately taken into surgery after numerous x-rays and CT scans. I had a fractured left wrist, a fractured left foot, fractured right tibula plateau, and a dislocated right hip. Along with the fractures I had severe facial lacerations, the most serious being on my right forehead. I had a laceration that went through my galea which exposed my skull. My first surgery went well, and I do recall waking up from it and immediately feeling more pain. During recovery after the first surgery, my hip dislocated again, and immediately I was put back under anesthesia to fix it.

My first week in the hospital I slept majority of the time as I was on a constant morphine drip, along with other antibiotics. I didn’t eat, barely drank and was barely coherent for the plethora of visitors that came to see me. I remember some here and there but others its a blur. By week two I was a little more active, talking to my family, and friends. One night while two fantastic nurses were helping to wash me, my right hip dislocated again. The next day was a bit of a rush because my original ER Surgeon came in to tell my parents that he did not have experience dealing with the rare fracture I had. He had a few options which were to transport me to one of three hospitals in the Chicago area (which instead of 15 minutes from home I would have been 40-80 minutes from home) or to try to find a surgeon that would take on my case.

He ended up bringing in a surgeon within the hospital’s network so I didn’t have to be transferred. This surgery wasn’t too bad, and recovery was okay aside from being completely incoherent again from the anesthesia. Fast forward to the weekend and I took a turn for the worse. From June 19th-22nd I had 2-3 fevers a day which spiked to 103 each time. On Monday afternoon while I was watching tv with my mom, I ended up spiking a fever that was 99F one moment, and then 103F within a minute. I was shaking because I felt so cold, which in turn made my heart rate jump to 180, and my breathing go short and shallow.

The nurses that were handling me called a code on me and then about 6 other nurses and a general physician came in to assess me. During this time I was put on a rebreather versus my naval cavity tube, and wheeled down for a CT scan of my lungs, and abdomen (gallbladder.) After CT, I was transferred into an ICU room instead. I then was met by a general physician, and an infectious disease doctor. The urinary tract infection I previous had (from prolonged catheter usage) escalated into a kidney infection, and I also developed a blood infection. I was put into ICU because my infections were worsening, and well, I was in critical condition (again.)

That Tuesday was probably one of my hardest days ever. I woke up and had a difficult time breathing with my nasal tube. Eventually the nurse put a mask on me, but that wasn’t helping me breath and my O2 stats were under 85. I was then placed on the re-breather again but it just wasn’t helping. I felt like I had run miles and was trying to catch my breath but it would not come back. At that point my respiratory physician told my parents and I that I had two options left. I would be put on a BiPap machine to assist me with breathing. If that failed the only other option was to sedate and intubate me.

I have never felt so scared, vulnerable and close to death as I did that day. I felt as if though my time was coming to an end and that I had only been kept alive from my accident to see my family and friends one last time. The BiPap was hard to adjust to for awhile but eventually I was able to breath with it and felt safe again. At this point I was also given diuretics to remove the excess fluid from my body which had finally made its way to my lungs causing my breathing failure. The next day I felt like a completely different person. I got my appetite back and perked up. Towards the afternoon I was able to do 30 minutes off the BiPap then an hour on, and eventually in the evening I was off of it entirely.

Friday I was finally cleared to go back up to the sixth floor where I was roomed originally. For the next few days I had doctors in and out to check on my progress. I eventually learned that my kidney infection was a result of e coli, and my blood infection was from the Pic line I had. It took a few days for my infections to clear through but later that week I was cleared for my tibial plateau surgery for June 30th.

My surgery went through well but the worst part was that my right leg was put into a CPM 2 hours after surgery. Now aside from the fact my leg was cut open and stuffed with cadaver bone, pins and a metal plate… I had not moved this leg in over four weeks. The pain was unbearable having my leg lifted into the CPM. When it was turned on, it was set at just a 30 degree angle and I was screaming in pain. Physical therapy planned for me to be on the CPM for two damn hours. The most excruciating pain I have had to endure–even worse then the initial pain from my accident and 3rd hip dislocation.

After suffering that torture for an hour my nurse heard how painful it was for me (I’m also quite sure the rest of the hall heard me), and how the morphine wasn’t working she gave me an injection of Tordodal and twenty minutes later I felt amazing and passed out for four hours.

My last two weeks in the hospital were a blur of watching the same tv shows over and over again and grueling physical therapy. The first time I tried to sit up in my second week in the hospital I barely made it for a minute. I was dizzy, lightheaded and had no strength at all. The first time I stood up I was using the aide of a platform walker and managed to last for 20 seconds. Each day I gained more and more strength. My record prior to leaving the hospital was 3 minutes. I fought for that time so hard, because every muscle in my left leg had atrophied, and I am unable to use my right leg. Because of the tibial and hip fracture/dislocation, it is in a non-weight bearing status until mid-September.

Having been home since July 9th, I have gained so much of my strength back. I can hop around using my platform walker, sit in my wheelchair for 13 hours (which I actually just did the other day and without needing any vicodin!), and have a lot more strength in my right leg, although I am still unable to put any weight on it. Despite what I’ve gone through, I’m okay with it and have accepted everything. I’m lucky and grateful for the nurses I had that I’ll never forget, and especially for being able to come home to a house that’s been prepared for me. My dad built a ramp on our main walkway and in our greenroom so that I can get into the house. The floor leading into my temporary room was redone so that I could maneuver it myself.

I look forward to the day when I can start walking again and truly turn my life around.

5816_207933300426_576810426_7816397_1840473_n 5816_207933265426_576810426_7816392_724620_n 5816_210122565426_576810426_7872956_7497452_n 2009-07-29_1836 2009-07-29_1843 5104_192243360426_576810426_7394248_5466578_n 5104_192244220426_576810426_7394260_343708_n 5104_192243640426_576810426_7394255_1282912_n 5104_192244340426_576810426_7394261_3701460_n 5104_192244450426_576810426_7394262_5146564_n n576810426_7846108_2501222 5816_208724460426_576810426_7840869_5674952_n n576810426_7840882_3454796 20395668-da672cfd2bdb5fd89e620d9ecae5f0c44a768111-full 20402179-03058895951ae224b95c258b13926c6b4a76810f-full 5816_208637775426_576810426_7838675_5358202_n 5816_208637915426_576810426_7838676_6244124_n 5536_217706945426_576810426_8075438_5135260_n 5536_217706770426_576810426_8075436_6131846_n


  1. OH MY GOD. I am SO glad that you are okay and alive. The accident looks horrible and I’m so sorry you had to go through all that. Wow.

  2. You know what amazes me more than anything is that you were still able to keep us up to date with everything via Twitter despite what all you had to go through. πŸ˜€

    I am so glad happy to hear that things are getting better as you clearly went through hell and back. *hugs*

  3. i don’t even know what to say aside from thank god you are alive and doing better. those pictures are brutal but you look pretty freakin fantastic in the last few. πŸ™‚

  4. I don’t really believe in God and all that stuff but I do think someone was looking out for you that day. Just curious, the guy praying over you was he the one who hit you?

  5. @Pam No, he wasn’t the one that hit me. He had actually seen the accident from a distance. He checked in on the guy in the pickup truck first and saw he was unconscious but fine. He went to me and saw how bad I was and stayed with me.

    The really uncanny thing is that he lives near a family my sister plays softball with, and they both know each other.

    I haven’t spoken to him yet, but I have been meaning to thank him for staying with me, and calling my parents.

  6. I’m with Cristina, I think it’s truly amazing how you managed to still stay up to date with the web world and everyone throughout your initial recovery! What an awesome family you have too, that they would prepare your house to support you… your dad building those ramps is so incredibly sweet. <3

    I’m so glad you’re doing better, it’s been awesome to be able to talk to you on IRC and hear how well you’re doing. πŸ˜€ I hope the remainder of your recovery is speedy!

  7. It’s amazing that you’ve recovered as quickly as you have, that list of injuries is insane. I’m so sorry you had to experience all of that.

    What about the guy who hit you? Is his insurance company being sued to pay for your medical expenses?

  8. I love that you’re somewhat smiling in the last photo of yourself, considering what you went through. I am amazed at your recovery and love how well your family, friends, and boyfriend helped you through this whole ordeal πŸ˜€ I’m sure their support and assistance had helped a great deal. I am glad that you are okay and even though you were seriously injured. And I agree, I love that you still kept in touch online to let even us twitters etc know that you are doing well πŸ˜€ I wish nothing but the best for you, and hope that you soon start feeling like your old self again πŸ™‚

    I second what Brent said, what about the guy that actually hit you?

  9. It’s horrible that you had to go through this, but it sounds like you’re making the most of this situation. I guess the only thing you can really do is stay optimistic. I hope the rest of your recovery is quick and painless. πŸ™‚

  10. This all looks and sounds very painful. It’s great that you’re feeling better and better each day!
    It’s great to see you blogging again πŸ™‚

  11. My goodness! That’s absolutely horrible what happened! D:

    I wish you the best of luck on a speedy recovery πŸ™‚

    I like the pictures you posted. It’s one thing to read about it, but to actually see what happened is another.

  12. I’m kinda speechless but just so, so relieved that you’re still here to tell this tale.

    I hope you continue to feel and grow stronger every day. Drop me a line if there’s anything – anything – I can do.

    V xx

  13. @Brent and @Naco – Unfortunately as it stands right now, I’m the one at fault. I was making a left turn, and he claims I cut him off. Due to him being conscious he immediately filed a report saying he had the right of way. That night the cops gave me a ticket for failing to yield (or something) and for not wearing my seatbelt. I know, I know…

    It’s something I have a hard time accepting. He walked off with no injuries, and even that night he had denied medical attention. The details involved are sketchy in relation to him. His truck has passenger side damage, yet in his report he states he was driving straight (at 55mph!) and I turned in front of him cutting him off.

    It’s just tough knowing/thinking it’s my fault yet I don’t remember ANYTHING. I have my court date on Monday (8/11) and it will be the first time seeing him. I’ve been nervous as it is, and seeing him will put me back on that emotional rollercoaster. However, once this court date is over, it will then allow my insurance company to start their investigation into the accident and ultimately decide/find out more.

  14. Wow :3 Good luck with the court date πŸ™‚ He must have filed it right away because he knew you couldn’t dispute it considering you clearly sustained the injuries.

    I just hope he doesn’t try to pull anything on the day you have in court. Again I hope all goes well πŸ™‚ In the state of Florida if you hit someone it’s generally automatically your fault, which is bull (although in your case would be in your favor :D).

  15. That sounds like my mom’s accident a few years ago, although she only had a few scrapes and bruises. She was turning left at an intersection while the light was yellow, she didn’t see anyone coming at her (two lanes) so she turned and some guy hit her and pushed the van into the corner of a house’s porch.

    He had to have been going faster than 30mph for him to not be there one minute and there the next. The court said it was my mother’s fault for not waiting for him or something.

    I just hope the blame isn’t placed on you, considering how many injuries you have I hope they’re not too hard on you.

  16. Wow. After reading all of that it amazes me that accidents like this really do happen to people. It’s one thing to see it on a t.v. show but it’s an entirely different thing to know that people really do have to go through such terrible things. It is good to see you came out on-top of the situation in good mental/physical health.

    It sounds a little iffy to me also that the other driver had a smashed in drivers side. Good luck with your court date (but I believe the 11th is actually a Tuesday) so I am assuming it’s tomorrow. Hopefully after its all done and over with you will be able to get over that last bump and be able to move forward from the situation without it causing too much stress.

    Best of luck!

  17. That was almost hard for me to read, I can’t believe everything you’ve gone through. It’s so good to see that you’re still optimistic even with all of those horrible injuries to deal with, and I’m so glad you’re recovering so well!

    Best of luck on your court date, because that’s such bullshit, to put it blankly. I find it extremely heartless that he would do something like filing that report while you were unconscious, and I’ll keep my fingers crossed it all works out in your favor.

  18. Great to see recovery and a positive attitude!

    I fucking hate the law, it’s always unfair to the people who suffer. Even if it was your fault, surley you’ve suffered enough? And more likely than not, knowing lorry drivers, it was probably his fault. But still, positivity!

  19. Oh wow. I am so glad to hear that you are doing better, and just wanted to let you know that you and your family will be in my prayers. πŸ™‚

  20. Holy crap, that sounds horrible to have gone through. I’m glad you are recovering and back home. I remember reading one of your iPhone entries a while back, made from the hospital I think.

    This part made me laugh: “twenty minutes later I felt amazing and passed out for four hours”.

  21. Hey Jordan,

    Just wanted to drop by and tell you I think it’s great how you kept your head up and got to write a pretty positive piece of your horrific story. Like I told you earlier, you can easily be labeled a fighter!
    I too had to laugh about that part Sarah was talking about, happy dreams? Haha

    I knew you had an accident and broke your leg, but this goes beyond anything I ever thought could have happened to you.

    All the best!

Comments are closed.